Sink or Swim

i'm back from my vacation in the caribbean and i loved every moment of it. the white, sandy beaches. the blue, serene water. i remember arriving at those waters for the first time and i stood there, spellbound, by the sea. i just wanted to jump in there... but wait. hold it. this fish can't swim. if you can picture a fish out of water, that's what i usually am when i'm IN the water. legs flailing, arms waving, i'm pretty much the definition of the word "relaxed" when i'm in the water. i attribute this phobia to something that happened in my childhood. regardless, i cannot swim.

until now.

i enrolled myself into swim classes (shoutout to groupon: keep sending me coupons on things 99% of the time i won't use). now, the groupon claimed that the class was for adults only. however, i had this idea in the back of my head that it would be me with a bunch of kids and that i would be the WORST student there and they would all laugh at me. this is not the case. there are about 9-10 adults in the class with me and we are all learning together. but literally right next to where we are learning, there are tons of kids who are training that make it look so easy. it's very discouraging for some people.

i'm getting there, slowly but surely. my freestyle doesn't have much style right now nor does my backstroke have any stroke. regardless, i got my feet wet... and then my legs, then my body, and then my head. i plunged headfirst into this and can only hope to stay afloat. hope's all i need, right? since hope floats? alright, i think i've reached my limit for horrible swimming jokes.

thanks for reading.

-jdv

1 comments:

Amberle Brin (visit their site)

I'm taking you swimming when you come visit again. :)